Welcome to the 1st Workshop on The Semantic Web in Practice: Tools and Pedagogy (PRAXIS), co-located with the 19th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) that will take place virtually November 2-6, 2020. PRAXIS is a 3-hour unconference-style workshop.
The overarching purpose of this workshop is to start a community that is focused on the collection, development, and curation of pedagogical best practices, and the tools that support them, for the Semantic Web and Knowledge Graph communities. More concretely, we wish to:
- Find effective ways to expand the expertise and knowledge of:
- Developers already in industry
- Domain experts
- Improve the Developer Experience (DX)
- Establish the importance of Semantic Web technologies
- Incorporating them into a technology stack or workflow
- Academia x Pedagogy
- Course Design
- Materials (e.g. tutorials, exercises, references, lectures)
- Format (e.g. MOOC, SCALE-UP)
- Academia x Tools
- Design and efficacy of “teaching tools”
- What are and how can we make effective, usable tools?
- Industry x Pedagogy
- Approachable knowledge graphs
- “Semantic Web Technologies for the Masses”
- Experiences and Anecdata
- Seminar and Workshop Design
- Industry x Tools
- Improving Developer Experience (DX)
- Tool demos, emphasizing usability and approachability
Due to the impact of COVID-19 and the virtual format, we have opted to make some small changes to the design and execution of PRAXIS 2020.
- The workshop will be conducted un-conference style (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference).
- The workshop will be hosted through Zoom and run through Kansas State University’s infrastructure. The connection information will be posted here.
- Authors of submissions will be invited to give 5-10 minute lightning talks on their submission, and these submissions will act as seed topics for our un-conference.
We are currently soliciting topics for our discussions from any participant. Please fill out the form!
The workshop will be held on November 1, 6:00-9:00 PST.
- Cogan Shimizu (general chair)
- Rafael Gonçalves (chair)
- Juan Sequeda (chair)
- Ruben Verborgh (chair)
- Michelle Cheatham
- Oscar Corcho
- Karl Hammar
- Raghava Mutharaju
- Valentina Anita Carriero
- Kamruzzaman Sarker
- Daniel Lupp
- Martin Skjaeveland
- Maria Keet
- Uli Sattler
- Monireh Ebrahimi
- Lu Zhou
- Ruben Taelman
- Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz
- Mari Carmen Suarez-Figueroa
- Paul Groth